zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject a replacement CONTRIBUTING file
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2019 00:05:03 GMT
Hi, team.

When working on the next project to export, we have a couple things to
consider. What, if any, revisions do we want to do to README files
that predate ASF (ex we have links to things like latest release which
are auto-generated). Also, what to do about our CONTRIBUTING file.
I'll focus on this one.

Every project had a CONTRIBUTING file which was originally originally
inspired by one I made at Netflix which made mention to the fact that
you agree to redistribute as ASL and some technical notes. This file
was actually first published in RxJava I think and I recall a meeting
with legal mentioning we need something to warn people that it is our
intention that all change will be redistributed as ASL.

We now, being apache, probably some of this is implicit. I'm not sure
what people are doing in general in CONTRIBUTING about redistribution
etc. I think we can rely on iCLAs and implicit knowledge, but if
anyone knows an apache project that has a file github can expose about
that PRs accepted will be redistributed ASL, let me know.

Here's an example below. Easiest thing, if we don't want to do
anything interesting, is to change the license header part of it to
the normal apache one.

----

Contributing to Zipkin

If you would like to contribute code you can do so through GitHub by
forking the repository and sending a pull request (on a branch other
than master or gh-pages).

When submitting code, please apply Square Code Style.

If the settings import correctly, CodeStyle/Java will be named Square
and use 2 space tab and indent, with 4 space continuation indent.

License

By contributing your code, you agree to license your contribution
under the terms of the APLv2:
https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/blob/master/LICENSE

All files are released with the Apache 2.0 license.

If you are adding a new file it should have a header like below. This
can be automatically added by running ./mvnw
com.mycila:license-maven-plugin:format.

/*
 * Copyright 2017 The OpenZipkin Authors
 *
 * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you
may not use this file except
 * in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
distributed under the License
 * is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR
CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express
 * or implied. See the License for the specific language governing
permissions and limitations under
 * the License.
 */

https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-brave-cassandra/blob/db7cf4e5a3154aa395fa1e415bfaf4218dfcf06b/CONTRIBUTING.md