zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: devopsing the gitpack
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2019 03:19:13 GMT
While no one said this.. I want to express disinterest in
intentionally not doing releases, or routinely deferring end users to
alternate repositories.

I think whatever solution to the "daily build into docker" problem we
have should be targeted towards Q/A testers (often the submitters of a
pull request, those it was made for, or power users). It is a nice to
have to be more flexible than dailies, but not required.

I ran into something this morning that made me concerned. The mockito
project do flexible releases, deferring people to alternate repos
based on how new the library is. On feedback "notable" versions can be
promoted to maven central  [1]. Case in point, today, maven central on
mockito is on 2.25.1 while 2.25.7 is current. I had a classpath
conflict with their version of bytebuddy, and whether I should or not,
it took me longer than I wanted to, to figure out the settings to get
a project-specific repo in place (because for example a lot of bintray
urls will respond to maven requests and download corrupt files!) When
it turned out that 2.25.7 also conflicts, I was more disappointed than
if I would have just been able to try the latest version myself. I
don't want that sort of experience for users. And to counter my
distaste for the first taste, there's an extended rationale for them
doing not really releases [2] [3], and maybe it works fine for them.
Maybe their users are smarter than me about figuring out build setups
or deciding if latest latest is needed vs almost latest.

As a reminder, mockito != jitpack, and I don't think this sort of
thing is compatible with ASF anyway. However, I do think it is a
related story and something to think about so that when we solve the
problem of dailies or otherwise, we don't add confusion or routine
reliance on error-prone setup.

By having users go straight to docker for dailies (and being more
quiet about our impl jitpack or otherwise), we can use what makes
sense for us, and change it as necessary, and avoid locking end users
into a 3rd party utility or repository for routine concerns.

TL;DR; I find this thread a means to implement a daily or ad-hoc
docker tag, not a destination for official releases, or an alternative
to them.

-A

[1] https://github.com/mockito/mockito#how-to-release-new-version
[2] https://github.com/mockito/mockito/issues/618