zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Be vulnerable
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2019 06:07:46 GMT
Hi, team.

I'm writing a presentation on Zipkin
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZIPKIN/Sites (obligatory
nudge to those who've not published yet, but can)

During this, I thought of a few things not captured in the notes, but
could be helpful to new people. Basically, your story of how it all
started. Many people come into tracing knowing not much, or worse,
coming armed with confusion. They don't have a setup yet. While
reading our site docs, it became evident that we don't tell them how
things evolved, how we evolved.

If you can (reply is fine), mention a few things that might feel
vulnerable. For example, when you started in tracing, how did it feel
and what challenges did you face? How did you overcome them and which
have you yet to overcome? What was your first deployment? What
situations failed, and maybe even never succeeded?

By daring to be imperfect, vulnerable.. I think we can become even
more accessible. I think some of you are pedastalized based on where
you are. I am proud of you for that, but at the same time, I think
sharing stories about your own learning can help others feel more
engaged.. just a hunch.

anyway, if you feel like sharing your story, please do. If you think
this idea is bologna, that's also ok!

Best,
-A