zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Release review script wish-list thread
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:14:22 GMT
 On "[VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin Brave Karaf (incubating) version 0.1.2"
Adrian wrote:

> maybe our king of scripts translation
> into a script. For example, a curl |sh thing might do the trick and
> avoid having to copy the script to every repo

(Volume up, mild distortion) I've been summoned! (Volume down, distortion
off)

Yeah, automating the steps of reviewing a release (on the workstation of a
PPMC) sounds like a good idea - it's one step up from a checklist. Some of
the tough logic already exists in our quickstart.sh, so don't need to start
from scratch. It'll be interesting to explore what can and can't be
automated; I foresee some "look at this file, it looks fine to me, what do
your human eyes see?" prompts. Fair warning, I'll include a big disclaimer
at the top of the output along the lines of "the script or its author(s)
don't take over partial or full responsibility for the review of the
release candidate, it's provided as a convenience helper only". I'm
thinking an important feature will be printing a report at the end that's
ready to paste into a mail.

One point of such a script is to codify our shared understanding of release
verification best practices, which will surely evolve over time. That said,
if you already have some specific things you want or don't want to see in
such a script, dump them here so I can include them in the initial design /
implementation.

This is also a great place for our mentors to say "no, automation like that
is not in line with the Apache way, don't even start", even though, please
don't say that ;)