zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject revisiting if SaaS backends should be Apache repositories
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 00:52:13 GMT
Hi, folks.

SaaS providers such as Google, routinely change their apis and not
always is the support good when that occurs. Many have an agenda to
use their own native clients as well (regardless of naming prefix).
Controlled ecosystems, whether that's private apis or golden path to
3rd party libraries can be tricky. While Amazon and Google currently
don't actively try to stop Zipkin ecosystem, we hardly ever get any
support from either. Notably, the GCP repository has had numerous
complaints and while Google originally helped write it, they no longer
help.

All this in mind.. should we move repos like this into the ASF?
Notably, the google one is more troubling support wise, but also the
Amazon X-Ray component of the aws project has been incomplete for
years. OTOH, notably in zipkin-aws, there are many stable used things,
like SQS transport.

I think the tension is around lack of support around cloud tracing
backends and this causes a bad user experience.

What do you think? If we did move the SaaS backends into Apache, what
could we ask google or amazon for to ensure their health? When would
we delete these backends if they drifted and ceased to help?

For consideration, the last wiki I wrote on this topic is here
https://github.com/Netflix/denominator/wiki/Adding-new-Providers
-A