zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject calling our mentors and champion to action (brave-karaf release)
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 03:02:12 GMT
Hi, folks.

We just tried to do a release of brave-karaf, but I think we realized
that many of us have no experience or no recent experience in ASF
releases. Some were giving +1s without doing any verification
whatsoever, and others possibly asking for more than required to pass
the release. First release was going to be bumpy, so no big deal.
However, I think there's some more to it.

I think some confusion was caused due to the various incubator mailing
list discussions. Some are calling out projects for not doing things
right, and some are not clarified on topics about source vs binary
etc. The way I perceive these discussions are just that.. discussions.
I don't think we have to hold ourselves to standards higher than
graduated project (standard of practice). However, I think if this is
a valid interpretation, a mentor should step up as sometimes the
language in these discussions is distracting (ex blamey phrasing
happened in those threads and is strong language for an evolving
process especially around github).

During our own release, we wandered, possibly into the correct
corners, but some topics feel more like guessing what we should do
than people knowing they need to. Lacking guidance, personally I
looked at a couple projects, jclouds and dubbo, and arbitrarily chose
the latter as the docs were polished.
https://dubbo.incubator.apache.org/en-us/blog/prepare-an-apache-release.html
This doesn't mean they were right, but seems they are right enough.
Maybe we can be right enough, too, as re-releasing and
meta-discussions are taxing timewise and emotionally.

The main thing here is I think we should have not started without a
mentor present to help navigate these topics.

The short of it is, that as a RM, I'd like to re-start the release
vote to clean the slate. I think that involves a "CANCEL" process
which I'll look up. However, I'd like a mentor to both be present for
questions and also participate in verifying the release and voting.
So, if someone can reply with their availability, I'm happy to
continue this and learn how to make the next one smooth.

Best,
-A