zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin Brave Karaf (incubating) version 0.1.2
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:09:11 GMT
OK all: the new git SHA is 31545805a55dbe5e495403d84172fc865a4935e0

Lesson learned is that we should be specific about how precisely to
test things, and that RMs (me in this case) should attempt those
things in a completely clean env (ex nuking all the caches).

Towards that end, beyond the usual apache stuff. If you want to test
the contents themselves, execute basically the same stuff as dubbo
mentions in their "Verify Release Candidates" section. We have the
same requirements as they do, but they already have a TODO list. We
can make one like this later I guess.

https://dubbo.incubator.apache.org/en-us/blog/prepare-an-apache-release.html

I don't know if we restart the 3 days now or not.. it doesn't really
matter as no-one is blocking on this 0.1 release. Anyway, appreciate
in advance those who are up to practicing verifying a release!
-A

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for understanding, Zoltan. FWIW, the test in question had the
> incorrect naming convention for an integration test. Tommy noticed
> that it should have never run in the package phase anyway. This
> corrects that: https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-brave-karaf/pull/28
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Vote: +1
> >
> > Yeah in general I'd say trust that CI has already verified we're OK, and
> > don't run integration tests on package / install in the released artifacts.
> > Good point about Docker as well. I've just tried `./mvnw package` on a
> > clone from git - first run passed, then the second one failed with the same
> > error as the source release. I'm ready to let this go as "finicky
> > integration tests".
> >
> > The release is Good Enough (TM) as is IMHO, assuming we provide some
> > command-line to package it up without running the integration tests. Of
> > course it'd be even nicer if users didn't even have to do _that_, but let's
> > not block the release on this.
> >
> > Note on stripping itests from the source release: ideally that'd be done
> > without modifying the code-base, since one of the steps pre-vote is
> > verifying that the code in the release is actually the code in the cited
> > commit hash - release-time code modification makes that harder (though not
> > impossible, the difference should be trivial in any case). I _guess_ that'd
> > mean making package / install / whatever not run itests, and adding itests
> > to CI explicitly, but as it's been proven several times, I only have
> > superficial knowledge of Maven, so I'll stop trying to guess here.
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:13 PM Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW the build worked on my laptop. it might be an environment nuance.
> > > Karaf itests are sensitive, and so for example end users shouldn't
> > > require anything delicate. For example, would you fail a build because
> > > a user can't install docker that's a prereq? We are only vetting code
> > > I think we should step back from signing ourselves up to make every
> > > potential user able to run all the myriad of integration tests
> > > possible in our environments.

> > > the
> > > or

> > > (if I