zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Tommy Ludwig <tommy.ludwig.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin Brave Karaf (incubating) version 0.1.2
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:45:36 GMT
I think it would be best if we have a README file in the source that
includes instructions on how to build. Someone downloading the source
release should ideally be able to learn how to build that release from the
included sources, IMO. At least this is my interpretation of the Apache
way. It would ensure that if the instructions for how to build the project
change, we don't need to keep a history separately (e.g. in a Wiki) since
the instructions included in the release should always be correct for that
release and would be tested by the PMC during release voting.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:09 PM Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com>
wrote:

> OK all: the new git SHA is 31545805a55dbe5e495403d84172fc865a4935e0
>
> Lesson learned is that we should be specific about how precisely to
> test things, and that RMs (me in this case) should attempt those
> things in a completely clean env (ex nuking all the caches).
>
> Towards that end, beyond the usual apache stuff. If you want to test
> the contents themselves, execute basically the same stuff as dubbo
> mentions in their "Verify Release Candidates" section. We have the
> same requirements as they do, but they already have a TODO list. We
> can make one like this later I guess.
>

> https://dubbo.incubator.apache.org/en-us/blog/prepare-an-apache-release.html
>
> I don't know if we restart the 3 days now or not.. it doesn't really
> matter as no-one is blocking on this 0.1 release. Anyway, appreciate
> in advance those who are up to practicing verifying a release!
> -A
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for understanding, Zoltan. FWIW, the test in question had the
> > incorrect naming convention for an integration test. Tommy noticed
> > that it should have never run in the package phase anyway. This
> > corrects that:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-brave-karaf/pull/28
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Vote: +1
> > >
> > > Yeah in general I'd say trust that CI has already verified we're OK,
> and
> > > don't run integration tests on package / install in the released
> artifacts.
> > > Good point about Docker as well. I've just tried `./mvnw package` on a
> > > clone from git - first run passed, then the second one failed with the
> same
> > > error as the source release. I'm ready to let this go as "finicky
> > > integration tests".
> > >
> > > The release is Good Enough (TM) as is IMHO, assuming we provide some
> > > command-line to package it up without running the integration tests. Of
> > > course it'd be even nicer if users didn't even have to do _that_, but
> let's
> > > not block the release on this.
> > >
> > > Note on stripping itests from the source release: ideally that'd be
> done
> > > without modifying the code-base, since one of the steps pre-vote is
> > > verifying that the code in the release is actually the code in the
> cited
> > > commit hash - release-time code modification makes that harder (though
> not
> > > impossible, the difference should be trivial in any case). I _guess_
> that'd
> > > mean making package / install / whatever not run itests, and adding
> itests
> > > to CI explicitly, but as it's been proven several times, I only have
> > > superficial knowledge of Maven, so I'll stop trying to guess here.

> [...]
Maven
> plugin
> latest git

> Subsystem