zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: pre-existing projects and the ASF
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:13:08 GMT
On 2019/02/14 11:05:22, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com> wrote:
...snip...
> That in mind, I wanted to pre-clear what should be implicit, which is that
> existing zipkin projects in our orgs are allowed to remain in our org and
> be released as usual after some repositories are moved to the ASF.
...snip...

That depends - what does that mean, specifically?

In general, there are two concerns that need to be met for TLPs:

1- Apache TLPs need to be masters of their own fate, and provide a
complete product that does some sort of useful functionality on it's
own, without relying on outside modules (in general; we rely on OS's,
commonly installed things in target environments, docker runners, etc.)

The rationale and basics to this are here:

https://community.apache.org/projectIndependence#apache-products-may-be-used-independently

So, as long as the future Apache Zipkin TLP can be built and do useful
things by only starting with apache.org repos, whatever other people
want to do with their related *code* is just fine.

2- Branding.  When you say "existing zipkin projects in our orgs", I
don't know enough about what you mean to know how it affects external
parties and the larger world.

-- If SomeCompany wants to continue to make publicly available a "Zipkin
Accelerator Package" based on those repos, then no: that's a violation
of Apache trademarks and conflicts with "Apache Zipkin"

-- If OtherCompany has a bunch of internal Zipkin-Acceleration-Deploy
modules that they use for their own purposes, that's just fine.
Trademarks (generally) only matter when they're publicly visible outside
of an organization.

If it's something else, we need to know what the general public will see
about those repos to know how to advise.

Does that make sense?  Note I'm not on zipkin lists, just reading the
archives.  Figuring out more specifically what the question is with your
mentors first would be great; if that doesn't get a complete answer,
then ask the Brand Management team.

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

--

- Shane