zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: revisiting if SaaS backends should be Apache repositories
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 02:07:12 GMT
Hey Adrian,

I think this is a difficult choice to make, for any project which faces similar challenges.
From one perspective, those repos (GCP and X-Ray integration) are valuable contributions,
the Google Cloud and AWS are very popular platforms so having Zipkin presence there is
a huge plus. But maintenance wise, as per your concerns, neither Google, nor Amazon have
interest in supporting it (building own solutions?). I think there are at least two
questions to ask and, depending on the answers, make a decision:

1. Do we have contributors who could / are interested in maintaning the projects?
2. Any risks that at some point, Google or Amazon would make the integration difficult / impossible?

We may ask Google or Amazon folks, as you suggested, if they could help us out. If not, could
we
involve community members? If there is no interest, we probably are better off not moving
them.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko