zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The brave-karaf is migrated!
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2019 02:33:49 GMT
Hi Brian,

We do have a JIRA project for Zipkin [1] but as far as I remember, team was/is
more comfortable with using Github to track the issues (and that's perfectly fine).
If you guys need any help from mentors, please let us know, I thought we wanted to
give Jenkins a try but staying with Travis or/and Circle is not an issue, as
far as the team feels this is the right choice.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ZIPKIN

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

> [...]

BDS> As far as Jenkins goes. I think leaving things on Travis/Circle for now
BDS> should be our plan, but I do think we will want to move to Jenkins in
BDS> the future based on the fragility we have seen with Travis/Circle (the
BDS> reason we have both). I have a bunch of experience in the pipeline work
BDS> also so I'd be able to lend a hand here, and I could probably enlist the
BDS> help of a former colleague who is a bit of a Groovy wizard and wrote our
BDS> pipeline component library at my last job.

BDS> This brings me to something I've been thinking about. How do we want to
BDS> organize these types of tasks/projects? I've been against using JIRA in the
BDS> past, but specifically for tracking issues/bugs/feature requests. Maybe we
BDS> should have a JIRA created that we use only for project level initiatives?
BDS> Like adopting Jenkins for CI, or other infrastructure type things. I don't
BDS> know, maybe that is too much structure for things that ultimately are not
BDS> delivering value to the greater community but instead are just helping us
BDS> stay organized. I had considered Github projects but considering the Org we
BDS> have access to at that level is not Apache I would feel weird coordinating
BDS> the Apache tasks from the non-Apache org.

BDS> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 8:50 AM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:

>> Awesomeness, this is pretty exciting :)

>> Re. the CI system, I think the consensus was that we should change one
>> thing at a time, and keep using Travis / Circle for the time being, just to
>> avoid duplicating efforts towards many different CI systems. FWIW, I like
>> Jenkins Pipelines a lot, they provide tons of tools and structure that you
>> kinda have to script with Bash for Travis / Circle, and there's great
>> support for Java build systems. That said, methinks 2 CI systems (Travis,
>> Circle) is a bit much, and 3 is definitely too much, so I'd propose we
>> attack the Jenkins-or-not-to-Jenkins issue with a separate effort if we
>> want to go that way, and focus now on the ASF release process.

>> The wiki seems to be (back) up now; couple of unresolved questions in
>> there. I think it should be fine to get started with the process, learn as
>> we go, and document what we learn / decide afterwards. No need for a big
>> up-front planning.

>> Meta: shouldn't this go to the dev@ list? (Honest question, I'm as new to
>> the ASF as anyone)

>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:18 PM Andriy Redko <drreta@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hey guys!

>>> The brave-karaf repo is migrated to Apache organization, congrats guys!
>>> This is the
>>> first but certainly not the last. Should we start integrating it into the
>>> Apache CI / Jenkins,
>>> I think I have all the permissions to create the jobs (we probably need
>>> JDK8 and JDK11 pipelines)?
>>> I wanted to reread the Wiki page which Zoltan drafted before but Apache
>>> Confluence is down ... rare
>>> event but happens :( What do you think guys?

>>> Thanks!