zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From b..@tobin.nl
Subject Re: introductions
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:33:08 GMT
I’m Bas van Beek and got introduced to Zipkin when working on a large project early 2017
using
micro services architecture mostly built with the Go kit toolkit. I noticed Go kit had some
issues with its tracing middleware and from there on started my deep dive into distributed
tracing with an incredible amount of help from Adrian Cole who mentored me into the
domain. Even though the project got scrapped due to vendor politics and a large
company deal I stayed on board in my spare time as maintainer of Go kit and Zipkin.
Within the distributed  tracing space I’m mostly known for my work on the
zipkin-go-opentracing and zipkin-go libraries.

I live in the Netherlands in a small city called Amersfoort, have an understanding wife
and two great kids (9 and 7 years old).

My current company doesn’t support any of my OSS work so unfortunately I do not
have as much time for Zipkin as I’d like. The company owns and operates events
mainly of the running kind. Next to being a minority share holder I work as the main
architect of the results and timing ecosystem for these races. I’ve been in the running
industry for quite some time and if you’ve run any road race chances are very big
you’re running experience got touched by some of the hardware and/or software I
developed over the years.

I have very little experience with Apache as an organization. I have had an ICLA on file
for quite some years due to previous contributions to Apache Cordova (mainly fixing
some bugs I encountered) but that’s about it.

I’ll try to be calm and not try to rush things through with respect to Apache. As an
entrepreneur and having bootstrapped a couple of companies from the ground up
I’m not very well known for patience or next level organization. I typically leave
when structuring is required after company incubation phase.

Cheers,

Bas