zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Devins-Suresh <badev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: introductions
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:43:43 GMT
Hi All,

I'm Brian Devins-Suresh, I (currently, stay tuned) work at Dealer.com/Cox
Automotive in Burlington Vermont in the
US. I got involved with Zipkin and Brave in late 2015. My team at the time
was building developer tooling and
owning some of the core applications. We built out our tracing capability
as a proof of concept and added it to all
of the core applications that we owned. We hoped at the time that we would
prove the value and convince other
teams to adopt but that unfortunately never happened. We were able to find
multiple problems in those
applications, including a couple methods that caused significant GC
pressure. We failed to get buy in from other
teams in the organization though. I believe at this point our original
implementation has been disabled and
decommissioned.

Since then my team has moved onto working in AWS building out the Cox
Automotive platform. To aide in the effort
I've been focused on building the zipkin-aws components. My architect
doesn't like to run software we didn't write
so I have been targeting XRay with our library. We use sleuth but have our
own starter with the AWS components
wired up with our

I have no experience working within the Apache incubator, or any TLPs
beyond being subscribed to a users list. I
hope to be able to be involved in growing this community.

- Brian