zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Kristof Adriaenssens <kristof.adriaenss...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: introductions
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:14:47 GMT
I'm Kristof and I learned about Zipkin and the Dapper paper in 2013 while
working at Tomtom in Belgium.
I'm the original author of Brave. I built Brave so I could get insight into
our services and reuse the Twitter components (collector, web, ui).
I remember how amazed I was when I could first visualize production
requests and how what we built was way more complex as I had imagined :)

It is because of my work on Brave that I got noticed by and got in contact
with SoundCloud.
I joined SoundCloud in September 2014 and moved to Berlin.  One of the
first things I did at SoundCloud was packaging and deploying the Zipkin
components
and enabling our Finagle services to start sending spans. After the initial
set up I started working on other things and our Zipkin set up remained
stagnant for a long time.

When Adrian got involved with Zipkin he reached out to me and soon started
contributing to Brave and the other Zipkin projects.  I was impressed from
the start with how Adrian reached out and involved the community, set out
the direction, and brought the project where it is now.  In July 2015 I
moved Brave from my personal GitHub to OpenZipkin. I kept working on Brave
till probably around end 2015 and stopped most involvement after that point
because of other priorities at work and in my private life.

I kept following Zipkin and the Distributed Tracing space from a distance
and got a bit more involved again recently as part of Using Kubernetes Pod
Metadata to Improve Zipkin Traces
<https://developers.soundcloud.com/blog/using-kubernetes-pod-metadata-to-improve-zipkin-traces>
.

I have used many Apache projects throughout my career, as most of you
probably, but I was never part of transitioning a project into a ASF
project.

Cheers,
Kristof