zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zipkin site under ASF
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2018 19:55:18 GMT
> From my understanding, ASF website is just a place host static pages, like `asf-site`
branch in website repo. So simply moving the exists generated codes should be good enough.

Good enough for what? To serve the site it is, and this is the current
state of things. Now, what happens if you change the Markdown files?
Nothing - something (ie. a Jenkins job) needs to generate the new HTML
contents. As Mick says:

> Just moving the jekyll building (and commit to branch) to be done by the ASF Jenkins
is enough to provide automatic website updates.

However, let me stress that this is not about "just" moving current
tooling, because current tooling does not exist. The HTML was
previously transparently generated by GitHub, and we don't get access
to that generated code. It's a matter of whether we build tooling for
Jekyll (which the current source supports), or we build tooling for
some more widely-used ASF tool where we can copy-paste the job (but
also need to change the source). That said, I see support for keeping
Jekyll (at least for now), so unless the prev. thought causes someone
to change your mind, let's go with that. I'll look into setting up
that automation in my next Zipkin timeslot, hopefully should be this
weekend.

> We have to watch out though with the death to zipkin.io as some docs refer
> to links. ex jclouds.org sill is alive redirecting to the apache site

Right. We can set up redirects, worst case with HTML redirects in
GitHub Pages. Shouldn't be a problem.

> I didn't think that zipkin.io was a problem, as long as it's pointing (or redirecting)
to zipkin.apache.org
> My understanding is it's only important that the content is served from ASF servers (and
the branding on the website is clearly to Apache).

I'm unsure about the "pointing" part (assuming that means CNAME here).
I've asked about this with detailed scenarios in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16996?focusedCommentId=16625197&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16625197,
and was shut down quite fully, with the message "The Foundation
doesn't support serving pages from non-apache.org domains except in
very limited and pre-approved cases.". This to me means that while
probably redirects are fine, CNAMEs are not, but we can of course ask
for clarification on this.

Cheers!