zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zipkin site under ASF
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2018 20:07:15 GMT
Update: It seems that at least Mahout
(https://builds.apache.org/job/mahout-website/54/console), OpenWhisk
(https://builds.apache.org/job/OpenWhisk-website/138/console), and
AriaTosca (https://builds.apache.org/job/AriaTosca%20Website/46/console)
use Jekyll to build their websites. I can't look at how they're set up
with my current access level, so I'll actually hold off on starting to
build something - ideally it'd be pretty easy to copy-paste most of
the build definition of one of those jobs.
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:

> According to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins
> one of the first steps towards a Jenkins setup is getting write access
> to Jenkins: "To give a committer access to Jenkins, the committer must
> be made a member of the hudson-jobadmin group. This is done using the
> Whimsy Tool which all PMC Chairs can change." Mick, would you mind
> adding Adrian and myself to that group? (I hereby pledge to only ever
> mess up our own jobs). In the meanwhile, I'll get started on
> researching if other pods do similar builds, and/or setting up a
> Docker-based reproducible automated site generator.
>
> > If you wanted to push it I would think that Zipkin satisfies the following criteria
to use CNAME:

> It's good to know that this option might be open; seems like it'd take
> some research to pin all that down. For now I think I'd put this on
> the back-burner, focus on getting the repos migrated finally (thanks
> for the weighty nag, Adrian), and site generation on the website
> front, and also the release process. Sounds reasonable?

ASF Jenkins is enough to provide automatic website updates.

> > > However, let me stress that this is not about "just" moving current
> > > tooling, because current tooling does not exist. The HTML was
> > > previously transparently generated by GitHub, and we don't get access
> > > to that generated code.
> >
> > My bad. Thanks for elaborating.
> >

> > > I've asked about this with detailed scenarios in
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16996?focusedCommentId=16625197&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16625197,
> > > and was shut down quite fully, with the message "The Foundation
> > > doesn't support serving pages from non-apache.org domains except in
> > > very limited and pre-approved cases.". This to me means that while
> > > probably redirects are fine, CNAMEs are not, but we can of course ask
> > > for clarification on this.
> >

> > Reading https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#nonapache
> >
> > If you wanted to push it I would think that Zipkin satisfies the following criteria
to use CNAME:

> > -- The domain was very well-known by the user and contributor communities long before
the project came to the ASF.
> > -- The domain is only used to provide end user level information.
> > -- The domain is Apache branded in appearance just like a.o sites are, and offers
clear and prominent links directly to project.a.o/path for all likely contributor topics,
like downloads, API docs, mailing lists, etc. etc.

> > I'm not entirely sure how you would ensure the second point: that developer/community
docs always redirect to *.apache.org though.