zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Zipkin repositories from the openzipkin to apache
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 20:14:43 GMT
That may improve things, depending on how exactly we lay out the migration
process. At the same time, I feel like the complexity of the migration is
getting out of hand; at this point I'd propose creating a brand-new
repository instead (which apparently can be done at least semi-self-service
via https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html). This can be a good
opportunity to triage the open issues, close invalid ones, and migrate
(copy, referencing the original) ones we want to keep.

Not to mention: while GH Pages takes care of generating HTML from the
markdown in the repo, there's no ASF-standard automation for that. This
needs to be created no matter what, so I'll get started on updating the
existing Circle CI job to generate the site into a new `asf-site` branch
(which seems to be the convention).

In the meanwhile, I'm open to being convinced that dropping the current GH
issues is a no-go, and we should invest in a more complex migration or
accept some hours of down-time.
(I've checked on the Jira ticket asking to move the other repos at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16989, is still in “waiting for
infra” status. Not planning any action on this.)