yunikorn-dev mailing list archives

From Weiwei Yang <abvclo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache YuniKorn (incubating) 0.8.0-rc1
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2020 23:49:20 GMT
Hi Wilfred/Kinga/Sunil

Thanks for the efforts validating it, let's fix these issues and roll out
an RC2 this week. Please see my responses below:

> NOTICE file contains a Copyright 2018-2020 message.
Fixed. (I referred to Openwhisk:
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/blob/master/NOTICE.txt). But I guess it
is more appropriate to add "Incubating".

> DISCLAIMER text is not correct.
Fixed.

> I would extend it with changing the image pull policy as well
I don't think this is a must. Given the user will build their own docker
images, the image pull policy will be totally up to them. And it's right
below the link where they change the address, hard to miss : )

>  the helm chart link is wrong
ah, good catch. my code refers to an absolute path on my local env (that's
how I miss it from my testing). My bad. Fixed it now.

> for the uninstall issue in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-102
this is due to a limitation of the helm. the uninstall command works fine
for helm3.x, but for helm2, it's different. Since helm3.x is the
recommended version based on https://helm.sh/docs/intro/install/. It would
be nice for us to add some steps for helm2.x in YUNIKORN-102, but I don't
think this is a release blocker.

> In the webUI the pending and terminated pods are shown as Running
applications.
This is a known issue, we cannot do much for this release. I suggest
planning YUNIKORN-103 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-103> for
0.9.

> the web UI is not working properly and the admission controller
installation is missing the yunikorn-service as well.
I have commented on YUNIKORN-104
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-104>, but I think this can
be fixed (improved) by improving our docs.

> *"**Apache YuniKorn (incubating)"*: For consistency, we can keep
(Incubating)
Fixed

> May be, its better to add in user-guide.md or in this README.md.
I have already pointed the user to the doc we have on github. But in
future, we might want to build docs on our web site, and point users to
there.

> - .github folder present in k8shim, core  - .gitignore present in
scheduler-interface, web, core, k8shim
@Sunil, I believe I have excluded these files in the tarball, can you
please double-check?

> yunikorn-web Dockerfile is missing ASF license header
Created PR: https://github.com/apache/incubator-yunikorn-web/pull/30

One issue left for discussion is:

5) The tag that has been used is v0.8.0-incubating-rc1. That reference is
in the go.mod files. That means we cannot use this source release and
promote it to the real release. We cannot have a pointer to the rc1 tag in
the files.

@wilfreds@apache.org <wilfreds@apache.org>, this is also something I am not
quite sure about. Imagine that we have our RC2 voting passed and prepare to
release based on RC2, I think we need to add another tag "0.8.0-incubating"
and then refresh all references in go.mod. then create another tarball with
that. Is this OK?

We need to put all release blockers with targetVersion=0.8, use this query
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-105?jql=project%20%3D%20YUNIKORN%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20%22Target%20Version%22%20%3D%200.8>
to check. For now, I think the following ones need our attention

   1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-105 *[PR Available]*
   2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-92 *[In Progress]*
   3. Source code tagging issue raised by Wilfred

Please let me know if I miss anything, thanks!

Weiwei