From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Unit Tests for Bug Fixes, New/Changed Functionality
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:18:39 GMT
True enough, and I am definitely not against instating such a policy (quite on the contrary).
On the other hand, I do feel compelled to add a word of caution here.

Example:
Some people could be familiar enough with certain parts of the codebase to see what goes wrong
and/or how a given issue can be fixed (or new functionality can be added), but do not have
the appropriate experience with various testing frameworks in order to devise a test, nor
do they always have the time available to familiarise themselves with that.
If I am working as an independent contractor for a client, and the hours/days can be invoiced
to said client, it may be well worth it to spend double or triple the amount of time on coming
up with test cases. If I look at it from a hobbyist perspective, and it is my own dime, I
will probably be more inclined to leave writing the test cases to someone else.

So, a new potential problem becomes that certain patches will just remain uncommitted for
a very, very long time, that is: as long as nobody finds the time or has the inspiration to
come up with a way to formally and adequately test the fix or feature. Certain valuable fixes
or new features may take ages to get committed if that policy is too strictly and blindly
enforced (as in: no more commits without a test case, period).

All that said, summarised, some formal guidelines would definitely be a helpful and valuable
start. Just keep in mind that with such a policy also comes a responsibility to either provide
ideas and pointers to would-be committers, or complete the patches yourself, to get those
gaps filled.

Cheers

Andreas