From "Simon Steiner" <simonsteiner1...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 11:12:07 GMT
Hi,

With a patch I could start regard:
ant clean regard -Dargs=""

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: 26 February 2016 21:17
To: Batik Developers <batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org>; XML Graphics Project <general@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Subject: [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk

I would like to start a vote on merging from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven [1] to trunk
[2]. Please respond by Wednesday, 03/02, 1700Z. Lack of a response will be interpreted as
+0.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/

Unlike xmlgraphics-commons, the batik project has not yet been updated to
support:

   - checkstyle
   - findbugs
   - junit

Although I have started converting the existing 'regard' based tests over to junit (see, e.g.,
batik-util/src/test), this task will consume a fair amount of resources to complete. As a
consequence, I am proposing to do the initial maven upgrade without converting the regard
tests (in this initial migration step). Further, it does not appear the regard tests are running
properly, even in the current batik trunk. Therefore, I propose we:

   1. convert to maven, then
   2. make fixes as needed to allow 'ant regard' to complete (in the new
   maven hierarchy), then
   3. finish converting regard tests to junit

These latter two steps would be accomplished in subsequent updates to ^/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk
after the maven merge.

Note that the consequences of this is that 'ant regard' will not work properly until step
(2) above is complete, and 'mvn test' will not include all existing tests until step (3) above
is complete. Given that we have not been (and are not yet) running a (Jenkins) CI build process
on batik, then this should not be a problem (from the CI perspective).

Regarding CI, I have created a Jenkins project, xmlgraphics-batik-maven [3], which is now
running:

   - mvn clean install -B -U -e -fae -V

[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/xmlgraphics-batik-maven/

The following run without error (on my platform, using JDK 1.6):

ant clean jars all-jar
mvn clean test

I am using the following tool versions:

$ mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
2014-12-14T10:29:23-07:00)
Maven home: /opt/local/share/java/maven32 Java version: 1.6.0_65, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.3",
arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

$ ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on June 29 2015