From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 21:17:16 GMT
I would like to start a vote on merging from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven
[1] to trunk [2]. Please respond by Wednesday, 03/02, 1700Z. Lack of a
response will be interpreted as +0.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/

Unlike xmlgraphics-commons, the batik project has not yet been updated to
support:

   - checkstyle
   - findbugs
   - junit

Although I have started converting the existing 'regard' based tests over
to junit (see, e.g., batik-util/src/test), this task will consume a fair
amount of resources to complete. As a consequence, I am proposing to do the
initial maven upgrade without converting the regard tests (in this initial
migration step). Further, it does not appear the regard tests are running
properly, even in the current batik trunk. Therefore, I propose we:

   1. convert to maven, then
   2. make fixes as needed to allow 'ant regard' to complete (in the new
   maven hierarchy), then
   3. finish converting regard tests to junit

These latter two steps would be accomplished in subsequent updates to
^/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk after the maven merge.

Note that the consequences of this is that 'ant regard' will not work
properly until step (2) above is complete, and 'mvn test' will not include
all existing tests until step (3) above is complete. Given that we have not
been (and are not yet) running a (Jenkins) CI build process on batik, then
this should not be a problem (from the CI perspective).

Regarding CI, I have created a Jenkins project, xmlgraphics-batik-maven
[3], which is now running:

   - mvn clean install -B -U -e -fae -V

[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/xmlgraphics-batik-maven/

The following run without error (on my platform, using JDK 1.6):

ant clean jars all-jar
mvn clean test

I am using the following tool versions:

$ mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
2014-12-14T10:29:23-07:00)
Maven home: /opt/local/share/java/maven32
Java version: 1.6.0_65, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.3", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

$ ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on June 29 2015