From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/commons/branches/maven to trunk.
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:55:55 GMT
Given the various input, I've decided to go with the following artifact ids:

   - commons-xmlgraphics
   - batik
   - fop

I would have liked to use 'commons' alone, given the group id would
sufficiently distinguish; however, there is clearly a convention of using
commons-<...> in Maven Central, both in commons.apache.org, other apache
projects, and non-apache projects. So, to avoid conflicts on doing search
on Maven Central, the longer artifact spelling seems appropriate.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Clay Leeds <the.webmaestro@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess I could also go for this:
>
> - xmlgraphics-commons
> - batik
> - fop
>
> However, I like consistency more so I prefer the other way.
>
> Like Glenn, I think that 'commons-xmlgraphics' makes it more like it's
> from of the commons.apache.org team.
>
> That said, I don't have a lot of energy here, so I'm happy with what the
> team decides here.
>
> Clay
>
> > On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:29 AM, Clay Leeds <the.webmaestro@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm thinking it'd be best to have consistency and use the prefix
> 'xmlgraphics-' for all project JAR files:
> >
> > - xmlgraphics-commons
> > - xmlgraphics-batik
> > - xmlgraphics-fop
> >
> > I don't have a lot of energy behind this, but I do like consistency.
> >
> > IOW, I'm +0 for the naming convention and +1 for the merge. ;-)
> >
> > Clay
> >
> >> On Feb 23, 2016, at 3:02 AM, Matthias Reischenbacher <
> matthias8283@gmx.at> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Glenn,
> >>
> >> I just checked some other Apache projects that use maven. Here is a
> >> short list of their artifactIds:
> >>
> >> Jackrabbit:
> >> * jackrabbit-api
> >> * jackrabbit-jcr-commons
> >> * jackrabbit-core
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> Apache Commons:
> >> * commons-codec
> >> * commons-fileupload
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> PDFBox:
> >> * pdfbox
> >> * fontbox
> >> * jempbox
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> If we use commons-xmlgraphics/xgc we would introduce a third naming
> >> scheme and it would still be associated more with Apache Commons than
> >> Apache XMLGraphics. I think we should either stick to your original
> >> proposal and use "commons", "fop" and "batik". Or should change to:
> >> "xmlgraphics-commons", "xmlgraphics-batik", "xmlgraphics-fop" (or with
> >> "xgc-" prefix).
> >>
> >> BR,
> >> Matthias

> http://commons.apache.org/