From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: My Goals for XML Graphics Project
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2015 15:55:19 GMT
On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Glenn,
>
> On 21/12/2015 23:55, Glenn Adams wrote:
>
>> Fellow Team,
>>
>> I'd like to share some of my ideas for improving the XML Graphics projects
>> as we move forward:
>>
>>     - transition writeable source repository from SVN to GIT, making SVN a
>>     slave to the latter
>>

> Git is better at branch support, but since we don't create a lot of
> branches seems overkill to me as the complexity of GIT is much higher than
> SVN. I think I'm +0 on this topic.
>
>     - transition build, test, and deployment system from Ant to Maven
>>

> +1, agreed this would make working with the FOP source code much easier.
> Currently it takes ages to setup the IDE with the correct dependencies.
> With Maven this becomes a 1 click process
>
>     - update minimum JDK to 7 or perhaps even 8
>>

> Since FOP is a backend server process, a lot of folks use it on older
> Linux/mainframe systems. Where its difficult to get support for newer JDKs.
> Why do you feel its important to increase minimum JDK version? I don't see
> what benefit that would bring to the user base. Sorry but I'm opposed to
> this move at this time as it would block a high percentage of users from
> working with FOP. We could conduct a survey of users to try and ascertain
> how feasible this would be.
>
>     - enable findbugs (from Maven site goals) by default
>>
> +1
>
>>     - convert non-Junit tests (batik) to Junit
>>
> +1
>
>>     - improve test coverage
>>
> +1
>
>>     - triage bug list
>>
> +1
>
>>     - revisit documentation, in its format, deployment, and content
>>
> +1
>

>> Overall, I want to bring XML Graphics more up to date with other "modern"
>> Apache Project practices and tool sets.
>>

> Sounds great Glenn. Why have you waited so long to start ;-)

Too busy. Thanks for the comments. Regarding GIT vs SVN, I have used both
extensively (as well as CVS, RCS, SCCS, etc), and personally find GIT the
most usable. Using GIT, via GITHUB, also brings other utility such as pull
request processing, traffic analysis, watch and notification support, etc.

On the JDK front, yes, a survey would be prudent. Also, we could use daily
builds on multiple JDK versions to determine and maintain compatibility.