From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: My Goals for XML Graphics Project
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:42:53 GMT
Hi Glenn,

On 21/12/2015 23:55, Glenn Adams wrote:
> Fellow Team,
>
> I'd like to share some of my ideas for improving the XML Graphics projects
> as we move forward:
>
>     - transition writeable source repository from SVN to GIT, making SVN a
>     slave to the latter

Git is better at branch support, but since we don't create a lot of
branches seems overkill to me as the complexity of GIT is much higher
than SVN. I think I'm +0 on this topic.

>     - transition build, test, and deployment system from Ant to Maven

+1, agreed this would make working with the FOP source code much easier.
Currently it takes ages to setup the IDE with the correct dependencies.
With Maven this becomes a 1 click process

>     - update minimum JDK to 7 or perhaps even 8

Since FOP is a backend server process, a lot of folks use it on older
Linux/mainframe systems. Where its difficult to get support for newer
JDKs. Why do you feel its important to increase minimum JDK version? I
don't see what benefit that would bring to the user base. Sorry but I'm
opposed to this move at this time as it would block a high percentage of
users from working with FOP. We could conduct a survey of users to try
and ascertain how feasible this would be.

>     - enable findbugs (from Maven site goals) by default
+1
>     - convert non-Junit tests (batik) to Junit
+1
>     - improve test coverage
+1
>     - triage bug list
+1
>     - revisit documentation, in its format, deployment, and content
+1

> Overall, I want to bring XML Graphics more up to date with other "modern"
> Apache Project practices and tool sets.

Sounds great Glenn. Why have you waited so long to start ;-)

> Please feel free comment on these matters.

Thanks

Chris