From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release XML Graphics FOP 2.0
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 13:10:54 GMT
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Luis Bernardo <lmpmbernardo@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I release cannot not officially be vetoed (
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html) but obviously having
> consensus is desirable and should be the goal.
>
> So before I spend time checking and testing the package I would like us to
> reach a consensus here whether this vote still stands.
>
> In my opinion, and given the fact that the number of warning/errors with
> checkstyle and findbugs is dependent on the version used, having a litmus
> test on checkstyle and findbugs warnings for a release only makes sense if
> we were to use the most recent released versions of checkstyle and findbugs.

Since we haven't officially moved to Java 7 as a minimum version, I think
we would need to use Findbugs 2. I think there is no problem pinning our
release to a specific version of Findbugs or Checkstyle for the purpose of
obtaining a warning free build.

> Glenn, can you point us to some examples where no findbugs warnings are a
> requirement for a company to use open source software? That would be a good
> reason for me to support aborting this vote. Otherwise I am in favor of
> proceeding with the vote.

In the cases I referred to, it is my professional experience with a number
of commercial clients of open source software. I'm afraid it is not
documented in a public manner.