From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release XML Graphics Commons 2.0 (Second Attempt)
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:53:15 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 30/09/14 17:27, Glenn Adams wrote:
> > It sounds like a resolution to the problem will take no more than a
> couple
> > of minutes, e.g., disable the test, in which case I'd be happy to change
> my
> > vote to +1.
>
> I absolutely don’t see what it brings us to disable the test, quite on
> the contrary. If a regression happens in that area of the code then the
> test will no longer be there to catch it.

It prevents a breakage on 1.7, and it gives more time to put in a better
fix. This is commonly known as a "short-term-fix", which is usually a
compromise.

> Plus, as I said that won’t change anything to the fact that the code
> will behave differently on a 1.7 JVM. Whether that is desirable or not
> has to be investigated.
>
> Finally, it’s still possible to build the artifacts with a 1.7 JDK, just
> the test suite doesn’t pass.
>
> Unless I’m given an excellent reason why we should disable the test, I’m
> not going to spend any more time on this.

Are you saying you will abandon doing this release because you don't want
to make the 30 second change to disable the test? That seems a bit peevish.

> Vincent
>

> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> vhennebert@gmail.com