From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: PDFBox
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:48:45 GMT
Hi Simon,

Yes I did argue against an upgrade to 1.6 for the reasons stated at that
time, i.e. improved annotation support. However, nearly another year on,
Java 8 has been out for a while and additional reasons to upgrade
emerge, i.e. allow us to leverage PDFBox improvements. Therefore, I'm +1
on going to 1.6.

However, I'm -1 on rushing to 7 or 8 for the reasons previously stated.
FOP is a server process who user base will expect to run on a variety of
different older operating systems including some mainframe systems,
where upgrading Java requires the installation of many o/s patches. It
can be very difficult to get approval to upgrade the o/s on such systems
and therefore make it very difficult to move to newer versions of Java
on such systems. So until they catch up a bit and there is a compelling
reason to go to 7 or 8, I say moving to 1.6 for the imminent v2.0
release is a good plan.

BTW, I think we should keep general@ in the loop as this decision has an
impact on all the sub projects in XML Graphics umbrella

Thanks,

Chris