From Clay Leeds <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PMCs interested in registering your trademark?
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 14:29:16 GMT
Sounds good. Thanks!

Cheers!

Clay

--

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

> On May 21, 2014, at 7:17 AM, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Clay,
>
> I would imagine its expensive to do it, and not strictly necessary for FOP. Note below,
they say the budget is for widely used Apache projects. FOP is fairly specialized. I image
he was thinking of things like httpd and Open Office in that statement.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
>> On 20/05/2014 14:31, Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I think it makes sense to trademark FOP & Batik. Thoughts?
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Clay
>>
>> --
>>
>> "My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
>> - HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org>
>>> Date: May 19, 2014 at 6:55:54 PM PDT
>>> To: pmcs@apache.org
>>> Cc: Apache Brand Management <trademarks@apache.org>
>>> Subject: PMCs interested in registering your trademark?
>>>
>>> (please reply-to trademarks@, and *not* to pmcs@)
>>>
>>> We have secured budget to register some active and widely used Apache product
names as registered trademarks in the US.  Please let trademarks@ know if your PMC is interested
in pursuing this. Registering product names has several benefits:

>>> - Reduces the risk of future conflicts, since most software vendors search trademark
registries before attempting to use a name.

>>> - Greatly improves our ability to police third party use of the name, since most
organizations understand what registered trademarks are and will quickly comply with our requests.

>>> - Improves our ability to defend the name in the rare cases of a challenge, usually
only from aggressive companies in other first-to-file countries.

>>> All of these things help to ensure that the ASF can efficiently defend our project
brands and ensure that our projects can operate independently from undue commercial influence.

>>> Note that PMCs will need to provide some historical project information, and
will need to update their website to use (R) instead of TM as well as agree to be diligent
about policing use of their name.  Similarly, given our budget there is a limit to the number
and type of names we will be able to register - we'd like to hear from any PMC that is interested
in registering, although we may not be able to actually register for every PMC interested.

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Reminder
>>> --------
>>>
>>> The board expects that PMCs will lead and actively manage their project's brand
with a similar care to how they manage their community and code.  Please be sure your PMC
understands these links:

>>>  PMC Branding Responsibilities
>>>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html
>>>
>>>  Apache Brand Use Reporting Guidelines
>>>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/reporting.html
>>>
>>>  Two useful sets of slides from ApacheCon NA 2014
>>> http://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/policing-apachebranduse-scurcuruapachecon2014-33452407
- for PMCs

>>> http://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/supporting-apache-brands-while-making-a-profit-apachecon2014
- for vendors and sponsors

>>> In particular, if any part of the brand policies aren't clear, please let us
know on trademarks@.  The ASF is here to provide a happy home for like-minded projects: we
need PMCs to let us know how we can better explanations or provide assistance with Apache-wide
policies.

>>> Similarly, if any PMC has questions about how to monitor brand use, please contact
trademarks@ - especially for any questions that involve third parties.  Managing project brands
is not like managing code: trademark law is a very messy compiler, and changes in project
branding and policies are not something you can simply revert.