From Clay Leeds <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: PMCs interested in registering your trademark?
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 13:31:33 GMT
I think it makes sense to trademark FOP & Batik. Thoughts?
Cheers!

Clay

--

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org>
> Date: May 19, 2014 at 6:55:54 PM PDT
> To: pmcs@apache.org
> Cc: Apache Brand Management <trademarks@apache.org>
> Subject: PMCs interested in registering your trademark?
>
> (please reply-to trademarks@, and *not* to pmcs@)
>
> We have secured budget to register some active and widely used Apache product names as
registered trademarks in the US.  Please let trademarks@ know if your PMC is interested in
pursuing this. Registering product names has several benefits:

> - Reduces the risk of future conflicts, since most software vendors search trademark
registries before attempting to use a name.

> - Greatly improves our ability to police third party use of the name, since most organizations
understand what registered trademarks are and will quickly comply with our requests.

> - Improves our ability to defend the name in the rare cases of a challenge, usually only
from aggressive companies in other first-to-file countries.

> All of these things help to ensure that the ASF can efficiently defend our project brands
and ensure that our projects can operate independently from undue commercial influence.

> Note that PMCs will need to provide some historical project information, and will need
to update their website to use (R) instead of TM as well as agree to be diligent about policing
use of their name.  Similarly, given our budget there is a limit to the number and type of
names we will be able to register - we'd like to hear from any PMC that is interested in registering,
although we may not be able to actually register for every PMC interested.

> Thanks!
>
> Reminder
> --------
>
> The board expects that PMCs will lead and actively manage their project's brand with
a similar care to how they manage their community and code.  Please be sure your PMC understands
these links:

>  PMC Branding Responsibilities
>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html
>
>  Apache Brand Use Reporting Guidelines
>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/reporting.html
>
>  Two useful sets of slides from ApacheCon NA 2014
> http://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/policing-apachebranduse-scurcuruapachecon2014-33452407
- for PMCs

> http://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/supporting-apache-brands-while-making-a-profit-apachecon2014
- for vendors and sponsors

> In particular, if any part of the brand policies aren't clear, please let us know on
trademarks@.  The ASF is here to provide a happy home for like-minded projects: we need PMCs
to let us know how we can better explanations or provide assistance with Apache-wide policies.

> Similarly, if any PMC has questions about how to monitor brand use, please contact trademarks@
- especially for any questions that involve third parties.  Managing project brands is not
like managing code: trademark law is a very messy compiler, and changes in project branding
and policies are not something you can simply revert.