From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DITA-OT and FOP
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:26:29 GMT
(CC-ing to general@ as it’s the place where I believe the conversation
should take place.)

I too would be in favour of welcoming DITA-OT as a sub-project of XML
Graphics. I think it matches rather well the purpose of this project.

A few comments:

On 27/03/14 18:32, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> I think that you are right about being a sister project to FOP within
> XMLGraphics.
>
> The discussion from everyone has been very helpful even if the writer was
> negative to the idea.
>
> //I would be happy to see some interaction in a number of areas.
> a) Clearly, the DITA group should be pushing for the FOP features that are
> required to produce the documents that can be described in DITA.

Pushing for having some features implemented is one thing; actually
implementing them is another. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t
believe the skill sets of a DITA developer and a FOP developer
intersect, do they?

So IIUC the goal of this would be to attract sponsors who use the
DITA-OT to fund specific developments? Or are DITA developers willing to
learn what is necessary to contribute new features to FOP?

> b)I think that the current Apache members could make positive suggestions
> about the processing and structure of the DITA toolkit.

Again, because of the different skill sets you might have put your hopes
a bit high I’m afraid.

> c) The DITA language specification is constantly undergoing updates and there
> are likely things that current FOP users could suggest as additions to allow
> them to use a standard language to author documents.

FWIW you might want to become involved in the W3C Print ang Page Layout
Community Group:
http://www.w3.org/community/ppl/

> d) The users of the DITA tool kit need some customization of FOP
> configuration  to produce nice looking documents and there is likely a lot of
> experts here that could be engaged to do these projects.

We can certainly increase the collaboration between the two projects,
although I don’t think becoming part of XML Graphics is a requirement
for that. Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to
become part of Apache?

Thanks,
Vincent