From "Simon Steiner" <simonsteiner1...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: running out of filehandles
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:09:54 GMT
Hi,

I was told this can happen when you do many FO to IF without closing jvm,
files are kept open for IF to output stage. Unless you set that property to
avoid it.
File is opened to read to check file type and next stage is to read file,
these 2 steps can be far apart so connection may need to redone.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Buxbaum [mailto:cbuxbaum@tradestonesoftware.com]
Sent: 07 January 2014 15:47
To: general@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: running out of filehandles

Hi all, this is directed toward the developers:

We have a customer who recently encountered an issue when running a FOP 1.0
report in an environment where none of the images referenced in the report
existed.  All of the references were URLs to images served by our
application through a servlet.  Our servlet writes the image bytes to the
ServletOutputStream.  I verified that I close all resources in a finally
block (I do not, of course, close the Output Stream). If the file does not
exist, I return a 404 not found in the response.

When the images do not exist on the server, the platform runs out of file
handles.  They get this error:

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

After researching a workaround, I had the customer add this to their Java
startup

-Dorg.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.AbstractImageSessionContext.no-so
urce-reuse=true

This fixed it, but we are unclear on why the customer would see a difference
between a server where all the images are available, and where the images
are not available.  In their production environment they never had this
problem.  Is it possible that the URL resource (and/or the
ServletOutputStream) is not being closed when the response is 404 not found?

Thanks,

Carl  Buxbaum
Software Architect
TradeStone Software
17 Rogers St. Suite 2; Gloucester, MA 01930
P: 978-515-5128 F : 978-281-0673
www.tradestonesoftware.com<http://www.tradestonesoftware.com>

DISCLAIMER:
E-mails and attachments from TradeStone Software, Inc. are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using
it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments
are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility
of the recipient.