From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 1.6 as Minimum Requirement
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:01:28 GMT
Hi Vincent,

before making such a decision I'd like to weigh up pros and cons of such
a proposal. The only pro that I can detect is improved support for
annotations. IIUC, there aren't many language changes between Java 5 and
6, so the benefits to a developer will be small.

The obvious con is that we restrict our user base. Whilst its true that
Java 5 is long out of support from Oracle, there are many other
platforms such as AIX, HP-UX, Solaris etc where installing newer JDKs is
really difficult because of all the pre-requisite Operating System
patches required. Also, Oracle aren't the only JDK vendors and we do
have clients with IBM JDK 5, which is still supported. A lot of bigger
Enterprises won't be able to upgrade from Java 5 to Java 6 across all
platforms and this could restrict our user base quite significantly.

Since the benefit to the developers appears small, I'm inclined not to
support such a motion. I could possibly be convinced that the upgrade
would be more beneficial to developers than I'm currently aware. So
please feel free to convince me :-)

Thanks,

Chris