From "Andrew Humphries (MEL)" <Andrew.Humphr...@foxtel.com.au>
Subject Issue with PNG images in FOP 1.0 / 1.1 and XML Graphics 1.5 in Glassfish 3.0.1
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 03:39:19 GMT
Dear User group,

I have recently upgraded to Glassfish 3.0.1 from GF 2.0.

I am having an issue whereby PNG images are causing the rendering of PDFs to go very slowly
in Glassfish 3.0.1 on Win XP (not tried on Solaris yet)

The issue is the same with FOP 1.0 / 1.1 -  what is impacting the speed is changing from XML
Graphics 1.4 to 1.5

In GF 3.0.1 with fop 1.0 and xmlGraf 1.4 my pdf renders in approx 60-65 secs !
In GF 3.0.1 with fop 1.0 and xmlGraf 1.5 my pdf renders in approx 14-17  secs !

Bear in mind that In GF 2.0 with fop 1.0 and xmlGraf 1.4 my pdf renders in approx 5 secs
== nice

I have used Visual VM sampler to see that the methods that are taking the majority of the
time are :
In xmlGraf 1.4  - org.apache.xmlgraphics.ps.ImageEncodingHelper.encodeRenderedImageAsRGB()
- consuming 58 out of the 63 seconds taken to render
In xmlGraf 1.5 - org.apache.xmlgraphics.ps.ImageEncodingHelper.optimizedWriteTo() - consuming
14 out of the 17 seconds taken to render

When I remove the pngs from the folder where they are expected by FOP the PDF renders at normal
speed - in about 5 seconds or so

I am trying to get our designer to recreate the pngs as Jpegs as they are rendering at normal
speed in the new GF, but the scaling is all wrong and it's going to take time to play with
bit depth etc...

Would just like to stick with the PNGs

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks

Regards,
Andrew Humphries
Analyst Programmer

T +61 (3) 8325 2047
Foxtel | 1-21 Dean Street, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039 | foxtel.com.au<http://www.foxtel.com.au/>

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any way, and notify
the sender immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not be the
views of FOXTEL, unless specifically stated. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment
(s) are free from computer viruses or other defects.