From Peter Hancock <peter.hanc...@gmail.com>
Subject Fonts in XG
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:44:37 GMT
The URI resolution work that Mehdi and myself recently work on [1] was one
of many requirements for running FOP in a environments with restricted
access to the filesystem (think The Cloud).  Another requirement relates to
the accessing of Fonts:  When FOP handles XSL-FO documents with embedded
SVG containing text, it delegates the layout and rendering job to Batik.
 Batik will require font metrics that are associated with the text and
currently uses the AWT library to load the JDK fonts that are OS fonts.
 This process is problematic for a few reasons:  One is presented to us
when we wish to run FOP in a so-called multi-tenant environment;  In this
scenario, fonts that are liscensed on a per-tenant basis must have their
availiability accordingly restricted accordingingly.  How can this be
enforced when fonts are resolved at the JVM level?

I am interested in feedback from the community to find out what other
problems are attributed to the current Font handling processes in FOP and
Batik, and what the solutions to these may look like.  Would sharing code
between FOP and Batik help to unify the handling of fonts.  FOP could
configure the font library so that Batik loads fonts accordingly.  This was
proposed at the time of XML Graphics Commons' inception [2].

I am aware that Font handling has been discussed on XG mailing lists and
attempts made to extract a font library from FOP [3].

Thanks,

Peter

[1] http://markmail.org/message/4mocrzwpzaaudwz2

[2] http://markmail.org/message/fbck5tolipkkfw5u