From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: Fonts in XG
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:29:26 GMT
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Chris Bowditch
<bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Does FontBox have support for the tables needed by the ComplexScripts code
> added to the TTFReader classes?

No. Clearly that would have to be added to fontbox to work. However, I'm
thinking more about a long term plan for font handling, which may (or may
not) make fontbox worth considering, in which case, the CS features would
 need to be added to it and the AWT dependencies removed or segregated.

If we had more than one joint committer (just JM is now), then it would be
possible to do this work more readily. The real question for me is whether
we want to (1) continue having a large and increasingly unwieldy font
subsystem in FOP, (2) move that into XGC (to share with Batik), or (3)
improve Fontbox to serve both Fop/Batik.

If the level of effort of (2) and (3) is similar, then I would suggest
taking (3). I could readily move the CS code into FB I'm certain.