From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Fonts in XG
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:03:37 GMT
Hi Glenn,

On 13/11/2012 15:29, Glenn Adams wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Chris Bowditch
> <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Does FontBox have support for the tables needed by the ComplexScripts code
>> added to the TTFReader classes?
>>
> No. Clearly that would have to be added to fontbox to work. However, I'm
> thinking more about a long term plan for font handling, which may (or may
> not) make fontbox worth considering, in which case, the CS features would
>   need to be added to it and the AWT dependencies removed or segregated.
>
> If we had more than one joint committer (just JM is now), then it would be
> possible to do this work more readily. The real question for me is whether
> we want to (1) continue having a large and increasingly unwieldy font
> subsystem in FOP, (2) move that into XGC (to share with Batik), or (3)
> improve Fontbox to serve both Fop/Batik.

I realize there is a disadvantage with maintaining multiple disparate
font libraries. The ideal would be combine them all into 1 library and
use that across PDFBox, FOP and Batik. We will certainly take a look at
fontbox, but everything I'm hearing so far leads me to believe it is a
massive job compared to option (2) above. If we look into that and are
confident that is not the case then I agree we can try to merge the 2
libraries and use the result in FOP and Batik.

> If the level of effort of (2) and (3) is similar, then I would suggest
> taking (3). I could readily move the CS code into FB I'm certain.

Peter is looking into the font requirements of Batik right now. After
doing that he will take a look at FontBox and we will discuss our
findings here.

Thanks,

Chris