From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:07:21 GMT
Hi Clay,

On 13/10/2012 08:16, The Web Maestro wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM, The Web Maestro
> <the.webmaestro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Could we get some eyeballs on the new ASF CMS system? We're all going
>> to need to update pages there, and we haven't migrated yet...
yes the deadline is close and I was hoping to have some news for the
board. The next report is due in a couple of weeks. SO I'd like to
formulate a pla to migrate.

>> I don't know if folks've been adding recent Documentation/Content
>> changes there as well, but we'll need to start soon! ;-)
Vincent told me he added some new content to the CMS, but we have all of
Glenn's changes for the 1.1 release to merge in.

>> I've attached a coupe of lists of files that need to be merged into
>> the ASF-CMS documentation for FOP & Batik. I guess I need to do it for
>> XML Graphics as well, but that should be pretty simple!
>>
>> We're getting closer to the wire, and I thought I'd ping the team
>> about the migration. We have some lingering issues (see below) I'm
>> still working to resolve, but for the most part  they're relatively
>> minor.

I think I've found a new minor issue. The titles look wrong on this
page: http://xmlgraphics.staging.apache.org/fop/knownissues.html

>> The worst issue is an IE9 scrollbar issue that *many* sites around the
>> 'Net are experiencing. I intend to have a fix for that soon! There are
>> also issues with the Batik Demo, and some expanded nav blocks.
> I think I clobbered the weird IE9 scrollbar issue (Chris et al, could
> you re-test?). I think it was entering quirks mode, and by changing
> the DOCTYPE to html5, I was able to resolve the issue. That was pretty
> annoying!

After reseting my browser cache the scrollbar is now working in most
pages, but it still appears broken for compliance!

> I also believe I resolved the FOP navigation collapse/expand issue.
> For some reason MarkDown wasn't honoring my unordered listing levels
> (spaces aren't always spaces?), but I ended up improving the jQuery so
> it could handle 'n' nested levels in the process. This was another
> pretty annoying 'bug' I discovered, that I could've lived without
> needing to resolve. Sheesh!

I've retested and the expand/collapse seems to be working fine now :-)
That's great work Clay.

>> I was able to fix the FOP Compliance page, but I haven't gotten many
>> lurkers from folks outside of Chris & Helder...
> I also created a Batik Download page, since the current CGI-based one
> wasn't working quite right. The new one is based off the FOP Download
> page, so I'd appreciate it if a Batik'er could double-check that I
> haven't munged anything too badly.

Thanks Clay. Since the 1.1 release is expected this weekend I propose
planning the move to CMS after that. I need help from the team to define
exactly what we need to do. I could only come up with 3 steps since I'm
not close to the technical details!

1. Merge in content from 1.1 release. Mehdi will tackle this next week.
2. Technical stuff to do the switch (Clay can you expand on what we need
to do)? Do I have a volunteer for this?
3. Team to fix outstanding minor issues, such as IE9 scrollbar. This
will be done on a ongoing basis rather than to a fixed deadline.

I don't think we should have a formal vote to accept the website in its
new form since the reason for the change is a mandate from the board and
the PMC can't go against that. Folks have had plenty of opportunites to
review the new website by now and although there are still some
outstanding minor issues we are forced to fix them later by the looming
board enforced deadline.