From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject checkstyle-5.5 online for xgc
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 15:58:39 GMT
I've completed updating XGC to use the same checkstyle-5.5 configuration
that is currently being used with FOP (trunk). Because a number of XGC
files do not follow these style conventions, and would produce hundreds of
warnings were they to be imposed, I have in these cases selectively
disabled specific rules by inserting CSOFF declarations into the files. I
believe that is a better approach than making wide scale code changes to
significantly alter the originally authored conventions.

For moving forward, i.e., adding new files, we should endeavor to follow
the rules when acceptable. However, as a reminder, the goal of using
checkstyle is to improve coding consistency when there is general agreement
to use some convention. Nevertheless, there remain some style rules for
which there is not general agreement. In those cases, I would expect the
default (currently specified) rule to apply unless a particular developer
wishes to diverge from the default, in which case I have no problem with
using CSOFF/CSOK declarations as desired. Personally, I do not agree with a
number of the whitespace related (and other) style conventions that are
presently encoded in the default rules; as a consequence, I will likely
make use of CSOFF declarations in files that I author in order to disable
certain rules.

I view this use of checkstyle and style rule enforcement as a recommended,
but optional process that we developers agree to follow when we can do so
and when we agree. I am opposed to any view that would consider these rules
to be mandatory or absolute. We represent a community of diverse interests,
experiences, and preferences. Imposing a single set of rules in an absolute
manner would, IMO, be detrimental to creating a healthy, dynamic community
whose opinions do not always coincide. That being said, I think we should
also respect the styles used by specific authors; i.e., for cases where
there is not unanimous consent to use a specific style rule, we should not
change the styles used in a specific file simply because we don't like it.

For my part, I will henceforth run checkstyle and fix any reported warnings
before committing to XGC. I hope that other developers will do this as well.

Regards, Glenn