From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: moving from bugzilla to jira?
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:35:24 GMT
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM, mehdi houshmand <med1985@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Glenn,
>
> Apart from the linking between bugs and svn commits, what do we gain?
> Migrating to JIRA is presumably non-trivial[1], so is it really worth it?

I did suggest this after using JIRA with PDFBox because it's nicer to use
> and faster, but I'm not sure those reasons mitigate the cost of migration.
> But then, I didn't spend much time looking into the capabilities that JIRA
> offers.

the main reason I wish to convert is because bugzilla is little used and
little maintained in ASF at this point from what i can tell; most projects
are using JIRA and few continue to use BZ; i just noticed that BCEL has
recently requested @Infra to perform the conversion to JIRA [1] (though
there appear to be a few bumps in that path)

given Clay's efforts to modernizer our site doc infrastructure, it seems
appropriate to look at other tool upgrades as well;

as for cost, the main work will be on @Infra to perform the conversion, and
for us as users to make the mental change; i haven't personally used JIRA
much, but it seems a more modern, feature-full interface as well as having
better svn integration features;