From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Checkstyle, Reloaded
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 08:42:36 GMT
On 08/02/2012 20:51, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Chris,

Hi Vincent,
> <snip/>
>> Can you provide a breakdown of the new warnings identified by Glenn by rule
>> type? I do object to introducing so many new warnings and I'm not comfortable
>> with using automated tools to correct the files, without understanding exactly
>> which warnings will be fixed in an automated way.
> Here is the list of rule violations that I get when running the new
> Checkstyle file on the latest trunk with Checkstyle 5.5:
>        1 FinalClassCheck
>        1 GenericWhitespaceCheck
>        1 NoWhitespaceBeforeCheck
>        2 DefaultComesLastCheck
>        4 RedundantModifierCheck
>        4 RightCurlyCheck
>        5 OneStatementPerLineCheck
>        8 RedundantImportCheck
>        8 RegexpSinglelineCheck
>       33 ConstantNameCheck
>       37 MultipleVariableDeclarationsCheck
>       47 UnusedImportsCheck
>       71 EmptyBlockCheck
>      113 NewlineAtEndOfFileCheck
>      128 NoWhitespaceAfterCheck
>      182 LineLengthCheck
>      249 ImportOrderCheck
>      321 ParenPadCheck
>      392 MethodParamPadCheck
>      806 ExplicitInitializationCheck
>     2231 WhitespaceAfterCheck

Thanks for preparing the breakdown. I've reviewed them and agree with
your analysis. Most of the ones that occur frequently are easily fixed
by the Eclipse Formatter, with the exceptions you've raised below.
Although the formatter may break long lines at unfavourable places? I
propose that we remove this rule as Glenn suggests and it will avoid
lines being broken in awkward places too.

Thanks,

Chris