From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge XGC color branch into Trunk
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:32:18 GMT
On 03/11/10 07:44, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip/>
>>   • unimplemented methods should really throw an
>>     UnsupportedOperationException or be removed altogether. Their
>>     behaviour is likely to change once they are properly implemented,
>>     introducing regressions. Putting a comment in the Javadoc is not
>>     enough, especially since those methods can silently be called by
>>     intendedToRGB
>
> I guess it makes sense to make the methods private as long as they are
> not used. Anyway, throwing UnsupportedOperationException doesn't work in
> this case. Batik or FOP would crash whenever a color profile is
> encountered that has a rendering intent that is not implemented. The
> implemented way ensures that the user gets at least an approximate
> result.

Whether an approximate result is preferable to an exception or not is
a ‘business’ decision that I can’t make because I don’t know the
underlying field well. What is the user likely to prefer? How acceptable
is the fallback? If throwing an exception is impractical, is a warning
desirable? Or is it likely to produce too much noise?

Making the methods private seems to make sense indeed.

<snip/>

Vincent