From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: Switching to Java 1.5
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:12:14 GMT
1.6 has been out for quite some time now so I would expect most everyone
should be using it by now.
I don't know what the differences are between 1.5 and 1.6.  I would
guess there are improvements on performance and security.  If it's
nothing that would be required for enhancing the XML Graphics code, I'd
agree it might be better to compile it for 1.5 for anyone who might
actually be running it, as long as nothing which compiles under 1.5
would break when running with 1.6.  Java should be backward compatible.
Anything which runs fine with 1.5 should run fine with 1.6.

I like to get all the latest updates on my personal computer but stay 1
step behind in my work environment where more stability is required just
in case there's even a slim chance the latest update breaks something,
but that just means we're running 1.6 update 17 when the latest
available is 1.6 update 22.  I would expect anyone who hasn't even
updated to 1.6 wouldn't be updating to a newer version of the XML
Graphics, unless as you suggest there is a problem with all 1.6 on
supporting a particular platform.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:dev@jeremias-maerki.ch]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:35 AM
To: general@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Switching to Java 1.5

By now, I agree that Java 1.4 as a minimum requirement doesn't make much
sense anymore. We have given people enough of a transition period. Many
Apache projects including many Commons components and also PDFBox have
moved to Java 1.5 in the meantime, raising the bar for people still
lagging behind in their environment.

What I don't support is jumping to Java 6 just now. Most Apache projects
have moved from 1.4 to 1.5 but not necessarily 6. Platform support for 6
is not yet as good as for 1.5. Plus I'd like to hear why 6 is supposed
to be technically better for XML Graphics (on the class library level,
not the JVM). A few new convenience methods alone don't warrant the jump
and the risk to alienate certain users.