From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Switching to Java 1.5
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:53:28 GMT
Hi,

The topic has already been mentioned several times in the past, at least
in the FOP area. The latest discussion we had was in August 2009:
http://markmail.org/message/y7iwptehnzujcuxm
It was decided then to release FOP 1.0 with Java 1.4 support, and do
a user community poll shortly afterwards.

More than a year has passed now and I’d like to re-visit that topic,
with two modifications:
• make the decision at the project level. Homogenizing things a bit
  wouldn’t hurt IMO. Specifically, Commons and FOP Trunk would switch to
  1.5 now, Batik would switch after the 1.8 release (which is about to
  happen IIUC).
• I’m not sure that a poll still is necessary. It’s been almost 2 years
  now that Java 1.4 has reached end of life. We are in the same
  situation as when we dropped support for Java 1.3.

Moreover, I think sticking to 1.4 is a growing impediment to the
development of the project. Simon ran into trouble when releasing 1.0:
http://markmail.org/message/ivlwk2dcmuk25woy
Proper internationalization can only be achieved starting from 1.5:
http://markmail.org/message/6n2w5tefarqp76iv
We recently upgraded Checkstyle to version 5.1 in FOP and that requires
Java 1.5.

Using retroweaving tools is doable but adds complexity to the build and
is a hassle that I don’t think we can live with due to our limited
resources.

I think it’s time to move on. If anybody really feels that a user poll
still is necessary, please speak up now. Otherwise, just wait a few days
that I launch an official vote on this.

Thanks,
Vincent