From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: Brainstorming: AFP subproject?
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:01:36 GMT
Not only have I never used AFP I don't believe I've heard of it.  I had
to look it up, which found multiple definitions.  Is this the one you're
referring to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Advanced_Function_Printing_(AFP)

I think any output format which adds considerable overhead should be
split into a separate jar if at all possible, to minimize the amount of
code to load for anyone not using that format.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:dev@jeremias-maerki.ch]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:52 AM
To: general@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Brainstorming: AFP subproject?

I've just committed a basic AFP parser to XGC as discussed on fop-dev
some time ago. While doing that I've started to think that AFP is really
something not many people know about or need. I wonder if it would make
sense to actually create an XML Graphics subproject dedicated to AFP. It
would include the AFP generation library from FOP and the AFP parser
I've started, maybe even the FOP output plug-in. A dream of mine is to
have an actual AFP viewer/converter at some point.

The rationale behind it is that the AFP library alone increases the FOP
JAR size considerably and only relatively few people actually need AFP
support.

WDYT?

Jeremias Maerki