From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project xmlgraphics-commons-test (in module xmlgraphics-commons) failed
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:47:26 GMT
Hi Helder,

as mentioned on batik-dev (2010-08-10), OpenJDK may not implement the
com.sun JPEG codec the same way as found in the official Sun/Oracle JDK.
Even relying on the com.sun classes is a bad idea to begin with. We've
had all sorts of discussions a while back because of GNU Classpath (GCJ,
IKVM etc.). Normally, if the com.sun classes are not available they are
simply excluded but that doesn't work here. I'm not in favor of trying
yet another work-around for this case.

I'd rather discuss the complete removal of the com.sun dependent classes
(or rather all "internal" codecs in XGC and Batik) and their replacement
with ImageIO. Most of it is already prepared but according to Thomas
DeWeese, some fine-tuning will be required for Batik. I'd have to look
up the details.

The removal would mainly result in the loss of native TIFF capability.
Installing JAI ImageIO Tools adds that missing TIFF codec which is not a
big hurdle. Another possibility is to write a plug-in for Apache
Sanselan which also has a TIFF codec (although without support for JPEG
compression), be that an Image Loader Framework plug-in, a Batik
RegistryEntry or even an actual ImageIO adapter for Sanselan.

On 28.08.2010 15:06:21 Helder Magalhães wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> > Full details are available at:
> >    http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xmlgraphics-commons/xmlgraphics-commons-test/index.html
>
> Yes, the partial information provided in the email message is somehow
> hiding the actual failure reason, an NPE (taken from the HTML log):
>
>     [junit] Testsuite:
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.writer.internal.TIFFImageWriterTest
>     [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.105 sec
>     [junit]
>     [junit] Testcase:
> testJPEGWritingWithoutJPEGParams(org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.writer.internal.TIFFImageWriterTest):
Caused
> an ERROR
>     [junit] null
>     [junit] java.lang.NullPointerException
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.codec.tiff.TIFFImageEncoder.encode(TIFFImageEncoder.java:472)
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.codec.tiff.TIFFImageEncoder.finishMultiple(TIFFImageEncoder.java:186)
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.writer.internal.TIFFImageWriter$TIFFMultiImageWriter.close(TIFFImageWriter.java:206)
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.writer.internal.TIFFImageWriterTest.testJPEGWritingWithoutJPEGParams(TIFFImageWriterTest.java:59)
>     [junit]
>     [junit]
>     [junit] Test
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.writer.internal.TIFFImageWriterTest
> FAILED
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.xmlgraphics.ps.PSEscapeTestCase
>     [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.069 sec
>     [junit]
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.xmlgraphics.ps.dsc.ListenerTestCase
>     [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.122 sec
>

> It seems that the Sun private classes are available:
>
> info:
>      [echo] ------------------- Apache XML Graphics Commons 28082010
> [1999-2010] ----------------
>      [echo] See build.properties and build-local.properties for
> additional build settings
>      [echo] Apache Ant version 1.8.2alpha compiled on August 28 2010
>      [echo] VM: 16.0-b13, Sun Microsystems Inc.
>      [echo] JAVA_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
>
> init-avail:
>      [echo] Sun-private JPEG Support PRESENT
>      [echo] JUnit Support PRESENT
>      [echo] IKVM Support NOT Present
>
> May the JPEG support detection be defective, or maybe an additional
> detection needs to be performed for the Sun-private TIFF support (the
> one which is currently failing)? :-)
>

> Cheers,
>  Helder

Jeremias Maerki