From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of the new color infrastructure
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:22:35 GMT
Hi,

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 30.06.2010 21:13:10 Simon Pepping wrote:
>> Does this mean that you want to finish your color work and merge it
>> into trunk before a release?
>
> No, not necessarily. I wanted to discuss what the best course of action
> is concerning the new color infrastructure. Releasing XGC as is causes
> ColorExt to become unusable as a name for the new extended Color class
> since my changes are not backwards-compatible except if we accept a lot
> of memory overhead for the compatibility (which I don't want to). I'll
> have to find a different catchy and short name for that class
> (suggestions welcome BTW) and deprecate ColorExt later.
>
>> I am not happy with that from a project management point of view. It
>> is best to take the decision to make a release, and do that. There is
>> always a nice addition tomorrow, but there is also always a next
>> release.
>
> Except for the little thing called backwards-compatibility. ColorExt is
> new in XGC and we already know it has to change in an incompatible way
> before its first release. The problem is that this has ripples into FOP.
> That's why we have to at least shortly discuss it.
>
>> Many users want a FOP release, so they can use two years of
>> improvements and bug fixes without having to deal with subversion
>> check-outs and build tools.
>
> I know, and I also know that you spend your free time and energy on this.
> And I'm sorry I didn't have this finished earlier.
>
> If you want to do the release now, that's fine. I just need a new class
> name for the new ColorExt class. And I need people to know the
> consequences of a release right now.

ColorExt is meaningless anyway. I don’t know what the old version was
supposed to do but the new one looks much clearer: ColorAlternatives;
AlternateColors; FallbackColor; ColorList;
ColorWithAPrioritizedListOfPreferredVersionsAndAFallbackIfNoneOfThemIsSupported.

Also, I very much doubt that that class should extend Color, but this is
another topic.

> But I've just thought of a better alternative:
> Moving (!) ColorExt back to FOP where it was and moving
> GrayScaleConverter to FOP solves the whole problem with minimal effort
> in FOP Trunk. The ColorConverter interface is fine as it is and can stay
> there. This will also restore backwards-compatibility for FOP's ColorExt
> and CMYKColorSpace classes which were already present in 0.95 but
> removed instead of deprecated. That would take half an hour at most
> tomorrow morning.
>
> WDYT?
>
>> Simon
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:08:36PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>> As a heads-up since Simon seems to be back to preparing the XGC release:
>>>
>>> The new basic color infrastructure stands in the dev branch. And it
>>> seems to cover everything necessary for XSL-FO. There are two tricky
>>> things around this:
>>>
>>> 1. I don't really like getting the current ColorExt from Trunk into the
>>> XGC release. The ColorExt in the color branch isn't compatible, but
>> --
>> Simon Pepping
>> home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu
>>

> Jeremias Maerki