From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Release of Maven bundle
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:08:18 GMT
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:47:19AM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Max Berger used to handle that. Putting the bundle under the dist
> directory will accomplish nothing. It won't get published in the Maven
> repository like that. Max published a guide in 2008:
> http://markmail.org/message/ntk2p23waqfvxaxq
> But I think this is outdated by now.

In the xmlgraphics-commons wiki, page Maven, it says: mvn deploy
etc. The target maven-artifacts in the build file creates
xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-bundle.jar, which I believe is the deployable
jar file. This encapsulates most complications. So what remains to be
done is deploy it via maven. The wiki page deploys it via
people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository,
which I presume is the standard way to deploy ASF releases. That
directory exists indeed, and contains previous releases.

However, I think everyone can deploy the bundle to any repository they
have access to.  That is why the bundle is a release artifact, which
we can put on the distribution servers, for users to deploy. If we do
not do that, we have no good place to keep the bundle available and
risk losing it; I almost lost it already.

Although the wiki page seems clear, I am not going to try and deploy
it. I leave that to an experienced Maven user. If we do not have one
in our teams, we can ask any friendly ASF committer to do it for us.

> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution_maven
> Unfortunately, the Maven part is still empty.
> From what I heard, the artifacts somehow need to be published via
> https://repository.apache.org and Sonatype Nexus.

Hmm, I hope that does not invalidate my above simple picture of
people/repo.

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu