From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Status of the new color infrastructure
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 08:12:09 GMT
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:48:26PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 30.06.2010 21:13:10 Simon Pepping wrote:
> Except for the little thing called backwards-compatibility. ColorExt is
> new in XGC and we already know it has to change in an incompatible way
> before its first release. The problem is that this has ripples into FOP.
> That's why we have to at least shortly discuss it.

That is not a good situation indeed.

> But I've just thought of a better alternative:
> Moving (!) ColorExt back to FOP where it was and moving
> GrayScaleConverter to FOP solves the whole problem with minimal effort
> in FOP Trunk. The ColorConverter interface is fine as it is and can stay
> there. This will also restore backwards-compatibility for FOP's ColorExt
> and CMYKColorSpace classes which were already present in 0.95 but
> removed instead of deprecated. That would take half an hour at most
> tomorrow morning.

I do not know the details of the color work, so I only have some
general considerations. Moving functionality back to FOP, why is that
not a bad thing? When do you want to merge your color work into fop
trunk, before or after the release? If after, can things stay as they
are now in both xgc and fop? Will you use an upgraded xgc for your
color work?

Simon

--
Simon Pepping