From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Putting Identity-H CMap Under Version Control
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:48:11 GMT
Hi,

In my work on introducing support for TrueType fonts in PostScript
I need to use a CMap file to map character codes to CIDs. Like in PDF
the mapping is trivial and is Identity. But unlike in PDF I can't just
give the name of the CMap file, I must explicitly embed it in the
PostScript output (IIC). I could do it by hand as it’s not especially
difficult, but that file is readily available from Adobe’s website. See
here:
http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/cmap/CMap+Resources
where the Downloads link leads to the following archive:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/opensource/cmap/cmapresources_identity0.tar.z

The Identity-H file that I need contains a copyright reproduced below:

%%Copyright: %-----------------------------------------------------------
%%Copyright: Copyright 1990-2009 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
%%Copyright: All rights reserved.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
%%Copyright: without modification, are permitted provided that the
%%Copyright: following conditions are met:
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Redistributions of source code must retain the above
%%Copyright: copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
%%Copyright: disclaimer.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
%%Copyright: copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
%%Copyright: disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
%%Copyright: provided with the distribution.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Neither the name of Adobe Systems Incorporated nor the names
%%Copyright: of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
%%Copyright: products derived from this software without specific prior
%%Copyright: written permission.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND
%%Copyright: CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
%%Copyright: INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
%%Copyright: MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
%%Copyright: DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR
%%Copyright: CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
%%Copyright: SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
%%Copyright: NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
%%Copyright: LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
%%Copyright: HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
%%Copyright: CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
%%Copyright: OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
%%Copyright: SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
%%Copyright: -----------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago PDFBox stumbled upon an issue when it came to using CMap
files for CJK fonts:
They submitted the case to ASF Legal Affairs who said the files couldn’t
be put under version control but had to be downloaded from somewhere:

However, the copyright headers for those CMap aren’t the same as the one
above and are more restrictive. This one is more liberal and is
(I believe) compatible with the Apache License. It closely matches the
legal notice that comes with Adobe AFM files, which are listed as
includable within Apache products:
http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

So I’m basically asking for confirmation here: is it ok if I store
Identity-H on the Subversion repository? I believe it is but, you know,
IANAL...

Thanks,
Vincent