From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Status of the new color infrastructure
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:08:36 GMT
As a heads-up since Simon seems to be back to preparing the XGC release:

The new basic color infrastructure stands in the dev branch. And it
seems to cover everything necessary for XSL-FO. There are two tricky
things around this:

1. I don't really like getting the current ColorExt from Trunk into the
XGC release. The ColorExt in the color branch isn't compatible, but
is clearer and more flexible. Merging the color branch into Trunk now
(i.e. before the release) would avoid a backwards-incompatible change
later. Or I have to find a better name for the new ColorExt and then
deprecate the old ColorExt. The thing is: The FOP color branch is not
very well tested right now but could essentially be merged into Trunk at
least after some additional testing. We could also restore the ColorExt
from FOP and switch back to that in FOP. The only point where ColorExt
from XGC is used in XGC is ColorUtil.toCMYKGrayColor() which is used by
the GrayScaleColorConverter. That would require only a smaller change in
FOP to deal with the "other" ColorExt (the new one in XGC).

2. I'm not sure, yet, if the new color infrastructure will cover Batik's
requirements, too. That's my next step, after testing the output formats
other than PDF in the color branch (mainly AFP and PS).

Thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki